Translate

Friday, July 12, 2013

Reverse discrimination

As a former Dallas Police officer. I have seen and have been ordered to use reverse discrimination in the hiring process. When I was hired in 1995 I was brought in early to work for the department before the academy started. My job as a Spanish speaker was to call Spanish speaking candidates and invite them to the upcoming exams. I found very little interest and many sub par candidates. Most of the educated individuals that had filed applications had found much better paying jobs in the private sector o they turned down my offer. The weeks went by and I began to run out of Spanish speaking candidates to call so I asked my supervisor to allow me to call on whites. I was quickly told that they were "not interested" in whites, they were a dime a dozen.

I looked at the massive stack of white applicant files and noticed many more highly qualified persons in this pile than of Spanish speaking pile I wad working on, so I took iy upon myself to call them. Not too long after I started calling did I start getting yes answers to my invitation to test for Dallas PD. I wonder how many officers are still skillfully doing their jobs on the streets of Dallas because I disobeyed orders? After I was on the department for a few years and was eligible for testing, I started hearing from people testing to be promoted that they were not the right skin color to promote, they were white. Promotions in Dallas were determined by testing and with certain ranks a presentation to a board. I assumed that all one had to do was to be the top grade and they would chose from the top down depending on the need. I assumed wrong when I was educated to the term "passed over". The term passed over means not promoting a more qualify candidate and you pass them over to take the less qualified minority candidate. This did not bode well with my Anglo friends and lawsuits began.

My white friends of course won their discrimination suits and were back paid and promoted. The city decided it had another trick up it's sleeve by rigging the promotion board. I had seen this happen on numerous occasions. A white candidate for promotion walks into the board have scored a 90 on his written test, so almost certainly that person would be promoted.  A minority candidate would come in with a test score in the 70's. I bet you cam guess what happens next. Some how the white person bombs his board and is placed at the back of the bus for promotion. The minority tester walks on water and is giving extra credit for his presentation to the board once again passing over the white officer.

This practice fractured our department turning officer against officer. Each throwing racial discrimination accusations against the other. There were times when white officers and black officers sat on opposite sides of the detail room. I had an incident where I stopped a black person, in a black neighborhood with numerous violations and my black partnet accused me of stopping them because they were black. I quickly ended the traffic stop and drove to the station and dropped my partner off and informed the sergeant. I didn't want to spend six months going in and out of internal affairs ovet a few traffic tickets.

The Zimmerman trial has rekindled this memory. To hear that my tax dollars were spent by the Department of Justice to support groups that promote black on white racism, black on white violence is almost more shocking then Benghazi. The president again is to blame, he gave the order. Obama stated, "If I had a son he'd look like Trayvon". Every Obama zombie in the government went on overdrive trying to think of what to do to avenge the presidents "son". In the minority community there is this sense of entitlement. Where did hard work and sacrifice go? We have so many rights nowadays that we don't realize the wrong we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment