Translate

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Teach your children to be brave

I recently had an experience in my own life that made me realize that not all families teach their children to be brave. I really can't say a number per se, however I have noticed an ever growing number of young people who either have no sense of danger or care for their fellow man or the ones that fear everything. We are raising socio and psychopaths in ever growing numbers by not teaching empathy and respect for the lives of others. On the other side of the spectrum, we are raising the latter's future victims. Children who feel no sense of power or strength within themselves to overcome challenges in our violent world.

How do you raise a child to be brave? The easiest way is by example. As a retired  cop I have the ability to tell what we call "war stories" to my children of the different situatuons in my former career that I felt qualified for brave. My children grew up hearing of dads getting shot at or how he subdued some bad guy and daddy always won and got back home to them. What are the situations today a person who is not in a profession where that type of physical courage is called for can do to earn the title of brave from their children?

Defend them. If they have a bully or a an adult that doesn't seem to have their best interest in mind, confront them with your child present in rational, nonviolent manner. I have had times where my oldest son consistently complained about a teacher singling him out. Of course I gave the educator the benefit of the doubt until it became a daily complaint. I setup a meeting and sternly  confronted both my son and his behavior and the teacher and her actions. The two adjust their relationship and there were no other incidents foe the rest of the year.

Tell them. Tell them how you would defend them physically from the evil in the world. Most Americans have firearms and practice safe firearm defense. Even if you don't want to have Armageddon type drill with your family, tell you age appropriate children what your role will be in defense of the family if a natural disaster or if an intruder enters your home. If the children are of age you could make them part of the plan to defend the home incase you are incapacitated. I have no problems with both sexes of our children learning firearms defense, this notion of the female being the weaker vessal is mute when she is holding your AR-15.

Show them. Show them how to defend themselves. I am just not saying against physical danger. Teach your children how to defend their beliefs and points of view. Teach them not to be afraid of who they are and that to speak out or speak up about those beliefs is courageous. I am proud of the fact that my kids listened to me defend what I believed on the radio and now in writting. At every age there is an opportunity for us as parents to instill this dying character trait into our children. For those parents that do you will find that your children will most likely end up being the future leaders and movers amd shakers in our world. Our world needs the brave more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment