Translate

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Ain't nobody got time for that

This is the latest catch phrase around the internet. Maybe I am little late in joining in the craze of the lady who was being interviewed and made just an outright wise statement. Now she has been dubbed and edited and made fun of but what she said is the core of what is happening with fifty percent of the population. We are just too busy to care. Our lives are filled with noise and static. The Bluetooth in the ear. The smartphone in the hand. Wireless laptop, IPAD and coming soon Google glasses that scan the faces of those around you and provide you with their online personas. I have spoken about this before how we keep ourselves busy just to be busy.

Why don't we have the time to care about what is happening around us? We are becoming addicted to digital interactions. Not human interactions. Human interactions take time to develop, to nurture and grow. You have to go out of your way physically and emotionally to establish who you are to who you want to know. Effort is not something we are used to anymore. We want the quick fix, the fast food, the channel surf. I became addicted to the internet a few years back. I thought that having a thousand Facebook friends meant that I actually had friends. When I woke up months later I was more isolated and alone.

I do not remember a time since I have been active politically, that people have been so apathetic towards changing the current political climate. I have to assume that most of us are on survival mode still because of the current economic climate. It would be hard for me to care about what's going on in Washington if I didn't know where or when I would be getting my families next meal. Shouldn't that make us even angrier and more reactive towards our leaders. That we are in such a state of alarm, that was created mostly by politicians, that we worry about our welfare. The fact that policies were put in place to create the economic downturn, should make us angry enough to storm the battlements of DC. When decadence grew in France in the eighteenth century the hungry rebelled. In America, ain't nobody got time for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment