Translate

Monday, July 16, 2012

Why we hate ourselves

I have a love hate relationship with social media. There is incredible power to enhance our live through opening up the world at a touch of a button. There is a horrifyingly ability for that connectivity to be abused to the point of driving someone to kill themselves. I say all this to relate a conversation that took place on Facebook between myself and another Jiu-Jitsu practioner. Sometimes I think we forget that the information we post is sent out to the dozens, hundreds, or thousands of friends we've chosen to connect to. Recklessly we birth opinions that we forever cannot take back and are offended when others disagree. These particular comments were made by a former soldier. So I am more interested in the psychology of turning your back on the nation you once swore to defend, than the actual words said.

So a post appeared on my feed from this young man concerning an article in Time. The article speaks about the tragedy of the daily suicides which occur in our military. I will admit that as of this writting I have not read the article. I was more attracted to his comments concerning the article in Time. His comment that was posted was, "wake up American they are killing themselves because it's and unjust war, and they can't handle the orders that they are being given". I do not know this person well, he seems like a decent person and businessman, so it seemed curious that he would have such a negative opinion of our current wars. As far as I know he served in the military, in what capacity I am uncertain. It always throws me for a loop when I see this phenomena of anti-Americanism in those who previously served. Having seen death, murder and mayhem as a former Dallas Police Officer, I have no ill will to the government of the city of Dallas. It isn't logical.

The conversation became a bit confrontational but nothing offensive. Strong men have strong opinions and we seem to both be ready to defend our positions. So his counterpoint was that the United States is and I will quote him, "We are war profiteers. And conquerors, who conquer other nations to make them conform to our ways". My question is where? Where have we actually taken over a sovereign nation and made conform to our ways? Japan? Sure they were forced to conform so much they are now a peaceful super power, what a tragic consequence. Germany? Now the anchor of Europe during these tense economic times. South Korea, prosperous. I could on and on. So his contention is that Iraq erases all of the positive effects of our global reach with our military. Time will tell with Iraq. The issue there is Islam and Sharia law coming into practice, not American exceptionalism.

So why do some of us Americans end up hating ourselves? Is it guilt? Is it shame? How do those who have equal experiences like this man come back just as patriotic and sold on the mission? I see comments like his very infrequently in social media. I am a devourer of news and information and have not seen a growing movement against ourselves as during the Vietnam era. I did cede that we have had imperialist tendencies in the past. They were few and far between. The knee jerk reaction was how dare he? My next reaction was sympathy. Now what I feel is sorrow that a fellow American now hates the very country that provides for him and his. It's sad very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment