Translate

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A nation of talking points

Nothing annoys me more than having a political debate with a person using talking points. I might as well debate the floor. You can't reason with a talking point spinner. They are just metal men automatons. Maybe I would feel better if they had made up their own instead of using what was out there on the web or from some talking head. Last nights debate sparked and interesting new one that I had never heard. My adversary was Mark on Facebook. His outrage sparked when I spoke up on a post one of our mutual friend. Our friend had posted another talking point about how Bain had shipped jobs overseas and that if he becomes president there will be no more unions on and on. Knowing the type of business Bain is I just asked a simple question. I asked how does a venture capitol company ship jobs overseas? Questions are the krytonite of talking points. There were no answers to that question as much as personal attacks. That seems to be a common tactic of talking pointer, when all you know is the phrase you insult the subject.

I got the old rhetoric from my friend and Mark. Romney hates the middle class. Romney is going to protect the rich. Romney is going to take your first born child.  I was waiting my turn to ask another question when Mark posted, "Romney when he was at Bain he shipped jobs from steel companies overseas then raided the pension fund then South Carolina tax payers had to bailout the company". Huh? That was different. Being a fan of Reagan I trust but verify. I quickly typed his remarks in to Google and there was the talking point from Reuters. The story of two steel companies that were not doing well and Bain invested in them. Mark made it seem as if there was some hostile takeover and raped the company of it's assets and liquidated it. The facts were that Bain actually held up this company for almost ten years trying to make it a success and just could not. A bankruptcy was declared and the pension was sent over to the Feds to manage. Something that is quite common and happens unnoticed unless your Romney.

As I continued my quick research I found that the company had filed for bankruptcy after Romney had already left Bain. So he wasn't even involved in the decision. So when I pointed this out Mark went for how evil it was to receive dividends from Bain. My answer was simple, are we commies or what? Where the hell did all of a sudden we start hating wealth and success. Damnit Romney used his head and created something. If your so jealous of his wealth and success use your brain and invent something. Take  a course and change your career. Work more, talk less. I am a middle class guy. I am even a member of a union. I want to elevate myself out of my class, but not at the expense of the guy above me. What good does it do our nation to demonise those who inherited or acquired their riches through hard work or ingenuity? We have created a new class in the last four years thanks to Obama, the Cry Babys.

No comments:

Post a Comment