Translate

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

So I voted

I went to my local early voting center that was pretty busy and voted. Even with all traffic it took about five minutes from parking the car to voting. If it weren't for the little old lady who was having some comprehension issues it would have been three minutes. Thinking over the whole experience I remember that the majority of the poll workers were senior citizens. Is it because they are retired and available? Why, thinking back throughout my voting history are the elderly running a very sensitive process? Though it seemed to be running well I did have a sense of old folk speed. You know what I am talking about. That deliberateness older persons use to make sure their bodies are doing what their brains are telling them. I am a little scared of the aged, it makes me nervous being around such large groups of them. I guess I see my future and I dread to think that's where I will end up, a polling place volunteer.

I did feel good to vote or did it? It felt rushed and cold and disconnected because of the computers. I guess I appreciate the tactile process of pressing or filling in a circle. I have lately been a straight Republican voter so it's more like wham, bam, thank you ma'am. I don't even smoke so I feel a little dirty afterwards. I remember using the old push button machines with the lever that closed the curtain. Now that is a vote. You'd hear the click click click of the buttons as you voted. Voting was involved, physical, it was a real chore. Those machines were big and clunky and loud. When you got through voting you knew and felt like you did. As you pulled the lever after the vote the curtain opened like a magicians trick and tah dah,next. I think I am going to buy a rotary phone just to feel nostalgic for those good ole mechanical days.

My Libertarian friends would accuse me of waisting my vote. I voted for Romney but if I chose Obama they would have said the same. My Libertarian friends would say I chose the lesser of two evils but I don't see it. I look at the choice of a community organizer and a successful businessman who's business he started is still around and thriving. There is no lesser. Someone who has balanced budgets in business and as a governor. Remember my bean counter analogy. I would love to vote for a Libertarian candidate, however the platform does not mesh with our system of Realism especially when it comes to armed conflict. So until I have the following to start the Realist party I do not see myself voting for a third party candidate any time soon. As I look at the polling it seems Romney is going to win this so I feel a little relieved. No October surprise, but the months not over.

No comments:

Post a Comment