Translate

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

What we shouldn't learn from China

I lived in China in the very early 90's. I was studying aboard as a part of my religious studies. We smuggled in Bibles and money to some of our secret churches. I have little fear of visiting and new places and experiencing change. When we had the opportunity I ran out of my room with my surfer buddy and went to hunt down something to eat. It took us nearly two day of non stop travel to get to Kaifeng, China. We were ready to explore.

The biggest shock was just how crazy early the entire country wakes up. We thought we were early risers at 6 AM but having heard military marching music over loud speakers we knew we were much lazier than those around us. No kidding at about zero dark thirty over speakers all over the city marching music played. After about 10 minutes of that a cadence began, 1, 2, 3, 4, over and over again. I saw people outside doing all kinds of unusual movements in coordination with the chant. Wu shu, Tai Chi, Chi Gung, were being practiced in a courtyard by our room. Then it hit us the smell of food.

So my buddy and I followed our noses and the smoke...to be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment