Translate

Monday, June 4, 2012

Don't leave it to the judges

I have been a Jiu-Jitsu practitioner for almost five years. At the age that I started and with all my injuries it has been a daunting task. I have suffered injuries that would have retired most men, yet I recover and persevere. What this sport has taught me is to be great you must endure and persevere. So I fight through the pain and limp to my classes on the way up the ranks. I learn I submit some I tap a lot. One of the things I never do is surrender.

This last Saturday the mixed martial arts company I started fight-2-night sponsored our first fighter in a local promotion. The fighters were weighted equally. The opponent was a flashy kick boxer. My fighter was a wrestler with a wicked right hand. My fighter hit this guy so hard on three occasions you thought the fight was over numerous times. The other combatant got in a couple of good strikes and kicks, while our fighter took him to the ground and controlled the caged. Close fight, but I was certain our fighter had won. Even UFC Hall of Fame star Randy Couture felt our guy had won.

So it went to three men who were boxing judges and they decided the man that looked more like a boxer won unanimously. The crowd was shocked. I went over to some of my friends in his camp and they admitted our guy had won and that leaving to the judges is a gamble no fighter wants.

I have said all this to say that many of some of the most detrimental decision in our nations are made by judges that have been long since removed from the real battle on the streets. They are upper crust and sheltered and have little clue what the individual needs. So we need to place those in public office that will create legislation that won't have to depend on the support of the courts. You might just be ready to get your hand raised, then you fall to your knees in disbelief that the loser is now the winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment